Jorge Herrera CPA CIA CGMA
My name is Jorge Herrera. I was born in Tampico Tamaulipas in 1962. I earned my bachelor’s degree in accounting from the Instituto de Estudios Superiores de Tamaulipas, currently known as IEST Anáhuac in 1983 and earned my CPA license in 1985 in Mexico and in 1991 in Texas, United States. Later in 2000 I was certified as an Internal Auditor in the United States.
Since 1989 I have been gaining experience by participating in projects such as:
- External Auditor (in teams of Auditors) for San Antonio Water System, CPS Energy, VIA Metropolitan, UT Health Science Center, George Gervin Youth Center, among others.
- Internal Auditor for CPS Energy, including internal audit segments at South Texas Project (Nuclear Plant).
- CFO (Chief Financial Officer) of the national office of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU – non-profit organization).
- Preparation of personal and corporate tax returns.
In 1997 my wife Socorro Herrera and I founded Herrera CPA as a sole proprietorship.
In 1998, we were contracted as outsourced professionals by the South Texas Business Fund, a non-profit organization of the City of San Antonio, to handle their accounting services for 12 years, until it merged with another entity.
During my career I have looked for opportunities to support the small business community in San Antonio through conferences such as:
- LaunchSA (coalition between the City of San Antonio and LiftFund)
- West San Antonio Chamber of Commerce
- UTSA MBDA PTAC Chase – Veteran Business Development Program
- Church Pastors Organization in Phoenix Arizona
- UTSA SBDC COVID Business Recovery Accelerator
We have been members of the Japan America Society for more than 20 years, a civil organization with a cultural and business focus, where I have served as Director of Membership and as Treasurer.
Currently I’m teaching a Finance course from God’s perspective (Compass Catholic Ministries) along with my wife in our parish community St. Anthony de Padua.